-
April 17th, 2006, 08:00 PM
#11
Inactive Member
Kit-My parents got her for me even though I didn't ask for her
Felicity-She was (still is) my FAVORITE AG-I saved up my money to buy her
Nellie-She is just SO CUTE!!!!!! [img]wink.gif[/img]
Samantha-I got her because Nellie needed her best friend! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Marisol-She likes to dance like me and looks alot like me.
Elizabeth-Shes really pretty and FELICITY now needed her best friend [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
April 17th, 2006, 08:39 PM
#12
Inactive Member
Samantha: My first doll. I first found out about Pleasant Company when I was in the first grade. Samantha was a biiiiig deal because we didn't have a lot of money. My mom and I discussed which doll I wanted- I was torn between Samantha and Felicity because I love(d) both of their time periods' history, their stories, and their dresses. My mom loved Molly because she grew up a lot like her. We finally settled on Samantha and she was my Christmas present when I was in the third grade.
Lindsey: She was adorable and I wanted to get myself a doll as a celebration of getting into my first-choice University. She turned out to be a trumpet player, too, so she also became an extra reminder of my goal to make it into my college marching band that I've wanted to be in since I was four.
Molly: I bought Molly the same time I bought Lindsey. She was a Christmas present for my mom my senior year of high school because my mom loved Molly and as a thank-you for everything my mom did for me- especially keeping in mind the extra-special Samantha I had gotten in third grade. My mom passed away last year, so Molly now also reminds me of her.
Felicity: I had always wanted Felicity, too. While on summer break from college, I rescued her off of ebay, fixed her up, tamed her scraggly hair, and found her new clothes.
Kirsten: She was another bargain from ebay. Her hair also needed work and her body needed minor cleaning, but she had her whole Meet outfit still (minus the pantalettes).
Bitty: My still-unnamed Bitty Baby was one of two I bought on ebay the summer before my mom died and was supposed to be a Christmas present for my twin nieces. When my house was sold the following summer and I was finally able/allowed to go in to get some of my belongings, things were a little rushed and hectic, so I mistakenly let one of them go during an impromptu "estate sale" to two very persistent little girls who were looking for American Girl items and coerced their father into returning the second day of my sale even though I had told them I had no American Girl items I was interested in selling. They found the doll, and I thought I had already packed all of my dolls and that that must be a third I had bought so I could make clothes for my nieces' dolls or something, so I let them have her. I'll probably just get new dolls for my nieces for next Christmas and keep the pre-owned one to "model" outfits I make for her "cousins," but she doesn't have a name yet.
Nellie: Bought the same summer as the Bitty Babies, I had no real occasion to get her except that I wanted to use part of my summer job money to get a doll, she was cute, and is the "best friend" doll for my first doll.
Jess: I spent this Easter weekend visiting my boyfriend's family, and we went into NYC, so I of course had to visit AGPNY. I wanted Jess because she is a limited edition, she is adorable, and the archaeology aspect of her story makes her a great reminder of my determination to finish my second major so I can possibly still become an archaeologist.
GT10 from 1996: She'll arrive later this week, and I'm soooo happy she stayed within my price range on ebay. She's also a celebration of finishing my history degree this semester. I have yet to decide on a name for her (have to meet her first, lol!), but I'm deciding between the names of some of my ancestors from Eastern Europe. She so far looks more like an Anna to me, but I like the names Alexandra and Anastasia (Nancy) better. I wanted a doll with my history when I was little, so I plan on writing her a story based on my family's experiences and the experiences of others who moved to PA's anthracite region near the end of the 19th century, and making her clothes to match (including traditional folk costumes like we wore when I took dance when I was little).
...most of my poor dolls have unfortunately been in stuffy boxes for the past year along with my other belongings that many really nice people have been storing for me in multiple states while I'm living in the dorms and moving around a lot. Hopefully I'll find an apartment for next year so that they can all enjoy the light of day again...
Elizabeth and Kit are the next dolls I want to add to my collection, probably next year because I want to get my "big" niece a Nellie doll so her Samantha can have her "best friend" and I want to get the little twins each a Bitty Baby. I think the first thing I need to get is a summer job, though!
(I think it'd be so fun to get the big niece an AG suitcase for travelling to visit relatives... have her be disappointed as kids are when given practical things like suitcases... then watch her get excited as she realizes that there's something inside the suitcase!!!) [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Edit: ok, it seems I've spoiled myself since gaining my own source of income, lol!
<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ April 17, 2006 05:43 PM: Message edited by: jerseycow6 ]</font>
-
April 17th, 2006, 09:01 PM
#13
Inactive Member
I have a lot of dolls - so bear with me! Great idea, by the way. I'll go in chronological order.
Lissie: I was five-going-on-six and my grandmother was going to buy me my first AG doll for Christmas that year. I picked Felicity because she was a redhead and I loved red hair (still do, but now I have red highlights) and she was the first in the catalogue.
Kira: I was going in the order they were in the catalogue. Kirsten was next so I got her. She got renamed Kira though and I think it was because I had a barbie named Kira (Kira the AG is SOOO much better!!).
Josi: Josefina came out the next year and I got her and her starter set for Christmas/my bday (which is barely 2 weeks away from Christmas). She was very pretty and was also the next in order.
Marie: Marie was the AGoT who looked most like me at that time - she's retired #10 and they didn't have light brown hair and green eyes at that time. I had wanted an AG today so I broke the order thing (which was going to happen anyway). Marie's always been a bit crazy and out-there/rebellious, probably because I felt rebellious not getting a historical doll like my mom thought I should.
Kit: I skipped a year and got a Target doll (why... I don't know) but then the next year I got Kit because she was new and she had freckles. She's still my favorite.
Linsi: Of course, Lindsey was a limited edition, so I had to get her!
Cristel: I had been lusting after 21 for awhile (I hope I got the number right... she's the one with the curly honey-blond hair).
Kat: Kit by this time had become her lovable narcisstic self. So naturally, when I saw a Kit doll up for raffle I entered (because who wants one when you can have two?) and I won! Then we had Kit-Kat.
Kailey: Again, limited edition. She was also a surfer and I had a bit of an obsession with surfing and Australia when I was 13.
Sam: I had always secretly wanted Samantha even though I had boycotted her because she was the most popular doll. She's so pretty! My sister and I got Sam and Nellie.
Piper: Oh, my. Piper is number... 25?? She's the platinum blond one. Basically I wanted a doll who was perfect and annoying. Of course that meant she had to be related to Kit-Kat. She's an heiress. I bought her with my own money at AGPC.
Sierra: I wasn't supposed to get a doll last Christmas, I was getting an iPod and I had already bought Piper that spring so I wasn't expecting one. My mom bought me Sierra though, who is the new African American AGoT (not trying numbers anymore) with the curly hair. My mom and grandmother named her.
Why I don't have Elizabeth: My grandparents told me they would buy me an Elizabeth when we went to AGPC this past winter for my Sweet Sixteen, but I saw a TON of outfits I wanted and I was going to get Elizabeth for Christmas anyway. I sort-of regret it but am still planning on getting her this Christmas - my sister's getting Jess and I'm not too into Emily.
Harper: Harper is coming as soon as my mom deposits my last paycheck and gives me the $30 she owes me. And as soon as there's a discount/free shipping code. We were in English class, and my friend didn't want to read THE THINGS WE CARRIED because it upset her, so she was writing down the books she'd already read in English classes so the teacher could pick a new one. We were trying to think of the name of the author of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (which I loved), and once we did I decided Harper was an amazing name and Harper Lee Simmons would be named after her. Nichole said she should be from Morocco and I decided on 26, who looks like me (except I have green eyes - but they sometimes look blue). Yeah... that's what we do in school - create new AG dolls that my mom doesn't know about yet, and come up with brilliant fundraisers such as getting bands to play at our school. Who needs homework?
-
April 17th, 2006, 09:27 PM
#14
Inactive Member
Sarah Elizabeth: (blonde Our New Baby) She was the doll that I singled out from the very first P.C. catalogue I got. I knew, although only being three, that she was my baby. Santa surprised me with her for Christmas 1992.
Molly: Although I also loved Kirsten and Samantha, I chose Molly to be my first AG because for one thing, she had glasses just like me. I thought she was very cute, and I had aunts who were born in the forties, so I could relate to her. Besides, my best friend had Samantha, as did my godsister, so I chose Molly. My mom bought her for me in July of 1996, when I was seven. And to this day, I don't regret getting her at all.
Kit: I fell in love with Kit in the very first catalogue she was in! It's as simple as that. I loved her short hair, freckles, side part, time period (corresponded with Molly's well)...everything about her. I showed my mom, and after a few months of waiting, Santa brought me Kit for Christmas 2000. (I was 11.)
Lindsey: I had won the raffle for Kit's bedroom collection at a Kit's Care and Share Party, and already having the bed, PJs, and bedding, I sent the new ones back to AG. So I had credit to spend. I pondered and pondered over the catalogue...should I get Samantha or Lindsey...Samantha or Lindsey? But then I thought that I could get Samantha later, so if I really wanted Lindsey, I should get her then. I knew I'd never have another chance to get that cute doll with freckles and short curly auburn hair. So I got Lindsey and two AGoT outfits, and she arrived March of 2002. (I was 13.)
Ruthie Ann: (AGoT 7) Ann was my best friend Anna's doll that she had gotten from her father in 1996-7. Anna had only gotten her because I had gotten Molly, and she rarely played with her. So one day, when Anna was getting ready to move to NM and I was visiting her, I asked her where Ann. Anna didn't know. So...casually offering to buy Ann, I found the doll in Anna's mom's closet. And after cleaning her up and handing over a check, I finally had an AGoT. And she'd make the perfect traveling doll later. [img]wink.gif[/img] (I rescued her in Summer 2002; I was 13.)
Meghan Nicole: (AA Bitty) Meghan was a lucky thrift store find. She came in her sleeper and was only $2, so I couldn't pass her up. Besides, she's a great companion to my Sarah. She came home in June 2004 when I was 15.
Samantha: After years of waiting, my mom bought me Samantha at AGPNY in July 2004. I had always loved Samantha because I thought she was so pretty and had the prettiest dresses. And the early 20th century is pretty nearly my favorite time in history because there was so much going on in the world.
Nellie: My mom bought me Nellie with Samantha because we both thought she was adorable. Plus, she's similar to me in appearance and in that she's Irish. (I have some Irish blood in me.) And Samantha HAD to have her best friend.
Marisol: Before she came out, I had thought I wouldn't be wanting Marisol, but after I saw her first picture online, I knew I couldn't pass her up. She was so pretty with her long, curly hair, and she loved to dance. I have fond memories of dancing. And she loved cats...I am a cat lover through and through. Not to mention, I didn't have a doll of another culture yet...besides Meghan.And pictures of her on Hostboard started popping up, so I began wanting her like crazy! I started saving money...mostly gift money...for her, and finally, before the Samantha code expired, my mom placed an order for her starter collection. That was March 2005.
Felicity: I had always liked Felicity, living in Virginia, but I really wanted one when Nikki finally got hers. My mom offered to buy me Felicity with Marisol, but as I wanted Mari's starter collection, I declined. And Lorie offered to sell me an extra Felicity of hers. I declined that, too, as I didn't have money. I'd get a Felicity on ebay, I thought, but then my dad suddenly passed away last April. I posted my sad news on Hostboard, and Lorie decided to send me a mini Felicity. Or so I thought because Nikki had told me that detail. But boy was I surprised when a box showed up on my doorstep in May of last year containing Lorie's extra Felicity! I was literally crying tears of surprise and happiness. Felicity surely did/still does help me through hard times. She's even more special than a new Felicity.
Maura Kathryn: (AGoT 21) AGoT 21 is one of my closest mini-mes, so I desperately wanted one, especially after seeing pictures of Traveling Amanda. And even though I knew I could just order one, I still started searching eBay. And then this one auction came along...a mint #21 in the retired cargo outfit. This doll was CALLING me...telling me that SHE was Maura. But I was fairly new to eBay, so I enlisted the help of Maria, the hostboard ebay pro, and I got my #21! (August 2005)
Kirsten: My mom and I have always loved Kirsten because we both love Laura Ingalls Wilder, so I knew Kirsten had to come home. But not just any Kirsten. I knew a white bodied one had to come home. I had fallen in love with Robin's...thinking she was the prettiest Kirsten I'd ever seen. And then Kimberly told me she'd won one on ebay for a steal, so I started looking. I lost a few auctions, but then I sniped one for $100 plus shipping of course. And I won...I think because this Kirsten was also calling me. I'm so glad have her because she's so cute...not as cute as Robin's, but cute enough. This was last December.
Samantha: I told you how much I had wanted Samantha over the years, but chose Molly instead. And then I got one at AGP, but after coming on to this board, I discovered that my Samantha was not the Samantha I wanted at all. My dream Samantha had to be PM. I decided I'd rename my newer Sam when I finally got a PM one. So I started browsing ebay, not bidding, but just browsing. And then I fell for a white-bodied Samantha. I loved my Kirsten, but knew I could never get a white-bodied Molly to replace my first girl, so I started looking for a Samantha. I thought I'd NEVER get one, as they went for more than Kirstens, but I soon spotted a fixer-upper that I knew I could snipe. So I placed the bid at $70 and won for $56.01 with only $5 for shipping! I had actually won a white-bodied Samantha! And I love her to this day...although I can't wait until summer so I have time to re-string her. This was in January.
Josefina: A PM Josefina was one of the dolls in board member Heather's large ebay lot of fixer-uppers, and when Heather posted pictures, I dreamed of having a beautiful Josefina like her "new" one. And when Heather was selling off the dolls, I told her that if she was ever considering selling Josefina, I'd buy her. I wanted a PM Josefina because I thought she was prettier and because I had just recently fallen in love with her from Hostboard pictures and her stories. So, then, this past March, Heather decided she didn't want Josefina anymore, so I did get to have my PM Josefina. And she's so much prettier in person.
And FINALLY, I'm done...I have so many AGs, but I love them all! [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
-
April 17th, 2006, 09:39 PM
#15
Janie3082
Guest
I got Kirsten for Christmas in 1993 from my parents. I had read all the stories that were out at that point and liked hers and all her collection the best.
I bought Felicity in March 2005. I had always wanted her growing up (my sister had one, but I wanted my own), and have always like the Colonial time period; plus I like the Mattel Lissies better anyway. I had been on an AG hiatus for several years, so it was the perfect time to get my Felicity.
I bought Rory (AGT25) in October 2005. I always thought the GTs were cute, but never really wanted one until AG released this one and I began seeing everyone's beautiful pictures of her! I instantly fell in love with her adorable-ness and had to have her. Since I like a lot of the today clothes and am pretty much a purist when it comes to the outfits, I really needed a girl to wear them.
The only other doll I will be adding to my collection in the future is Elizabeth. I agree that she isn't truly the same girl from the original books, but she is really pretty and Felicity's best friend, so I want to get her sometime this summer.
Unless AG releases a friend doll for Kirsten or another really pretty GT or LE that I just love, I don't think I'll expand my girls beyond four. I like my collection to be kind of small (as far as the dolls go, anyway) so that I don't become overwhelmed with having too much to play with and enjoy. But that's just me. [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
April 18th, 2006, 12:10 AM
#16
Inactive Member
This is really a fun thread!
Nicki - DD was 2 1/2 and announced to her grandfather that Ho Ho would be bringing her Bitty baby. This was a complete surprise to me but I guess Santa knewbecause Christmas Morning there she was. DH named her Nicki after St. Nicholas. (December 2000)
Maggie, Chris, and Haley - Several years went by and Christmas brought other dolls, AG strollers, AG changing table, etc. Then it was the twins and HSH. Nicki always remained the doll of choice.
Molly - My MIL and I had been waiting until DD was old enough for and 18" doll. Finally for DD's 7th birthday we met in Chicago and she picked out her Molly. Molly is the historical that DD looks the most like. (June 2004)
Dorothy - I found the board and Ebay in August after our trip tp Chicago. I soon decided I needed a doll for myself. I found Dorothy on ebay. She was dressed in the purple skating outfit and listed as a AGT. She was actually a PM Molly with bad hair. (October 2004)
Kirsten - DH found her on ebay and gave her to me for Christmas. I probably would not have picked Kirsten myself but now she is very special and so sweet. Plus I had more dolls than DD [img]tongue.gif[/img] . (December 2004)
Marisol - DH bought DD marisol for her 1st Communion. Again he was so excited. (April 2005)
Marlo - Marlo was actually a donor doll. We bought her and another doll to make my MIL a mini DD doll. I was going to rewig her and give her to my niece but DH said, "No, that doll is not leaving this house." He named her Marlo after Marlo Thomas. Last summer DD and I went to AGPC with mt sister and her girls. We missed Father's Day but left Marlo for DH to keep him company [img]tongue.gif[/img] . (June 2005)
Kaya - Another ebay find. After seeing Sheila's Kaya as a today girl I started looking for one. Ours has thin hair but we love her. (September 2005)
Lindsey - Right before Christmas I saw a couple of Lindsey's go for good prices. I put in a snipe on one and was thrilled to win her and use the ebay discount code. She was my Christmas present to myself. (December 2005)
Felicity - DD got Felicity from Santa. (December 2005)
Elizabeth and Kit - DH really surprised us at Valentines dolls. DH had been so busy at work during Christmas he felt bad I had bought my own present so he got DD Elizabeth and me Felicity. I didn't think we needed 2 Felicity's so I sent her back and got Kit. her collection has always been my favorite. (February 2006)
Addy - Again I credit (blame) Sheila. Her girls are so pretty (plus my sister has Addy) that I just had to have Addy. After missing a couple of auctions and help from Sheila (twice) I finally gor my Addy. (March 2006)
Whew! That took awhile! I think DD is getting Samanthafor her birthday, and Emily for Christmas. That leaves Jess, Josefina, and AGT4 on the wish list.
-
April 18th, 2006, 01:28 AM
#17
HB Forum Owner
Great thread idea!
Kit: She looked the most like me at the time (except I had bangs and no freckles), and she was unique because she was the only American Girl doll with short hair.
Tabitha Liz/AGT4 (originally Elizabeth): I really wanted an AGT doll, and she was the only Asian one. So cute!
Josefina: Before I decided on Kit as my first doll, I was going back and forth between Kit and Josefina. I loved her face mold, her earrings, and her clothes.
Nellie: My great-grandmother's name was Nellie, which is the main reason my grandmother bought Nellie for me for Christmas. I love Nellie's hair color and style (the wispy bangs are sooooo much better than the super thick ones), and the freckles on that face mold are too cute!
Marisol: My first LE doll. I was afraid that once she was gone, I'd really regret getting her. Now I know that that would have been true! Marisol's coloring is gorgeous, and her hair is so beautiful and fun to style.
Jess: I knew I wanted her as soon as I found out she was going to be part Asian. I adore her hair (especially the red tint, and the stepped part!), and her outfit is so cute. I LOVE the face mold. People say she looks like a chipmunk, but I disagree. Jess is too cute for words!
My doll wish list is quite long, but the dollies at the top of the list are Samantha, Molly, Kirsten, Addy, AGT 22, and AGT 26.
-
April 18th, 2006, 02:40 AM
#18
Inactive Member
Hmm, let's see . . .
Molly: She was my first doll. I loved her stories from WWII since I grew up hearing my grandma's stories from Germany during the war, and she looked EXACTLY like me. My grandma gave her to me. Christmas 1991
Felicity: I had wanted her ever since she came out in 1991 because she had such cool clothes and she was feisty and loved horses. I rode horses a lot (and competed) back then, so naturally I was drawn to her. Christmas 2000
Samantha: Samantha's books were one of my favorites, and I loved the Victorian era. Plus, she lived with her grandmother, just like I did. September 2002
Josefina: I always thought she was really cool because she was Hispanic, and I studied Spanish and Spanish culture for 9 years in high school and college. Plus I liked her books. Well, that's sort of redundant, since I loved all the girls' books. Christmas 2003
Nellie: I always liked her character in Samantha's books, and she was Irish, just like me! September 2004
Kit: I finally broke down and got her after rereading her stories. I'm a news junkie and I love story writing, so I completely fell in love with her! January 2006
Elizabeth: I went to AGPNY fully expecting to buy a different doll (I was mad that they changed Elizabeth's hair color to blonde), but after my best friend and I saw her, I fell in love! She is soooo pretty. She was an early birthday gift from my grandma and mom for my 24th birthday. February 2006
Kaitlyn: She was an Ebay rescue I stumbled upon under a Samantha listing, and she was calling to me. I wasn't really interested in the AGOTs, but after her, they are starting to grow on me. March 2006
White Body Samantha: I have always wanted one of the early "original 3" dolls, and I finally won her. She is gorgeous! April 2006
<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ April 17, 2006 11:42 PM: Message edited by: molly*belle717 ]</font>
-
April 18th, 2006, 03:40 AM
#19
Inactive Member
Kacey- She was the doll that looked the most like me when I saved my money and I went to AGPC to get her.
Kaya- B-day present from my mom
Samantha- for Christmas
Marisol- When I got all A's on my report card.
Zoey- for Christmas
Jess- because my mom thought she was cute and she is a Limited edition
What about you?
-
April 18th, 2006, 01:01 PM
#20
monimarine
Guest
AGT 7- known as Ruthie in our house. She was DD's first doll (Feb 2003) after seeing cousin S get Molly for Christmas a couple months earlier. DD wanted a doll that looked like her so she chose an AGT instead of a historical. AGT 7 went unnamed until DD got Kit for Christmas that same year.
Kit- DD chose her that summer based on DD's newest hair cut resembling Kit's and received her Christmas collection in December.
Brunette Bitty Twins- DD received these for her birthday in Nov 2004.
Josefina was my first AG. I loved everything about her and her collection.
Marisol was my first LE. Loved her hair! I wasn't too excited about her based on the speculation, but when I first saw her picture- I knew she'd be part of our group.
Ami- AGT 4 was given to DD in order to try and make up for us having to sell her Kailey and Lissie last summer. DD chose her and named her in honor of my sister.
Jess we got because she was just too cute to pass up!
Cadence is my first AGT. I loved all the pictures I saw of her on the board!
Aayla we chose because of her hair being different than any other doll out right now.
Addy I found on ebay and she looked to be in great condition for a PM. The pics of her were starting to grow on me and I couldn't pass her up.
Molly- I waited on getting her for a long time. Cousin already had a Molly and I didn't want two dolls the same, but I outgrew that. We are now looking forward to the movie and Emily!
DD got her Bitty (brown hair, brown eyes) Alexa for Easter this year.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks